Monday, April 27, 2009

Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale

Swung by Gator Beverage on the way home last night after picking up Krissi and we got some beers that we have never had before. I have found myself lately being rather predictable in my beer selection and have decided to reverse that trend. The following several entries here will be about beers that I have never tried before. The first one, Brother Thelonious. Apparently a purchase of this beer benefits a Jazz organization out in California, good to know. This was a standard fair, American made Belgian style ale. It was darker than I expected but it turned out to be about a strong brown ale. The mouthfeel was sweet and full. Dark brown, almost no head or carbonation but you wouldn't especially expect a beer like this to have either of those. Nearly 9% ABV and this was a big bottle, it packed a wallop. It wasn't the easiest beer to drink. The sweetness of the malt and the sweetness of the high alcohol were not as balanced as I would have liked. There is definetly a market for this beer though, it just may not be me. I have seen this beer (and maybe you have too) and have been curious for a while. I am glad I drank one and it is a good beer for me to start out my new journey on. If you like brown ales or porters and are looking for a serious one, or if you are into Belgian style ales (especially dark ales), you should check this out.
Drinkability: *** / *****

No comments:

Post a Comment